Traditional Hot Yoga is an activity accessible to people of any age or fitness level because of its low impact on the body. It helps to develop strength, flexibility and balance, both physically and mentally. It also has great benefits for those recovering from injury since it offers a method to systematically aid the body in healing and strengthening itself while decreasing pain.
In a world where we are continuously bombarded with visual, audio, and electronic stimuli, hot yoga provides us an opportunity to stop, even if just for a few moments, and recognize where we are emotionally. Stopping for a moment, and being fully present in a meditative state strengthens your ability to appreciate life, to find happiness, and to gain perspective. Traditional Hot yoga offers this mental benefit, while providing you a host of physical benefits as well.
It is very important to remember that you don’t have to get in shape or lose weight before starting a Traditional Hot Yoga practice. That puts the cart before the horse! Come take your first class, and then practice as often as you possibly can. You will shed excess pounds, get in shape, and feel absolutely wonderful. Come with an open mind and with the guidance of your teacher, simply approach every posture to the best of your ability and you will receive 100% benefit.
If you feel nervous, scared, or a little intimidated, that’s ok. Many people feel that way initially. Don’t let it stop you from coming to class. With a little practice and experience, you’ll quickly get the hang of it! Traditional Hot Yoga is designed for beginners. No one will expect you to know how to do anything. We have certified Teachers instructing every class and each one of us has personally invested over 800 hours of training and years of effort to have the privilege of teaching you – and we love new students!
It’s not about being able to do the poses perfectly or even at all – it’s all about trying the right way. Just make the attempt, and you will succeed with this system and get results. All you need is the courage to show up, stay in the room, and keep a positive attitude – even if you can only do a few poses. (That is what separates this style of yoga from all others).
You’ll meet people who have lost 20-100 pounds, and people who are just starting that journey. You might practice next to folks who are recovering from hip or knee replacements, cancer survivors, new moms, professional athletes, teachers, firefighters, retired couples or high school/college students.
You’ll fit right in, guaranteed… Every Body is welcome!
Tips for your first class…
Drink plenty of water throughout the day so that you’re well hydrated before and after class. Good hydration supports the healthy function of all of your body’s systems, and it makes the heat feel comfortable rather than overwhelming. Most people find that it is helpful to avoid eating within 2 hours before class. Everyone is different – so you will have to experiment to see what works best for you.
Arrive 15 – 20 minutes early for your first visit. This allows plenty of time for registration and orientation. Arriving early ensures a stress-free and relaxed beginning to your life long Traditional Hot Yoga practice.
Dress in light and comfortable clothes, like you’re going to the beach. Women wear shorts and a sports top and guys, just shorts are all that is needed. Pants, long sleeves and cotton are not recommended (you will be hotter than you want to be, guaranteed)!
Listen carefully. The teacher will guide and instruct, always with compassion and respect. No one will judge you, so there is no need to be self conscious. The other students in the room are focused intently on themselves and working too hard to even notice you! Simply follow the teachers instructions to the best of your ability as they deliver a very detailed set of instructions, and offer suggestions or corrections. You can always use the more experienced students in front of you for reference.
Stay in the room. You will be challenged by the yoga – everyone is, but never be afraid to take a break if you feel overwhelmed. If you get dizzy, nauseous, or otherwise feel uncomfortable, take a knee or sit and watch. A lot is going on inside; you have been stimulating, stretching and massaging all of your muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints, organs, glands, tissues, bones, and fascia. During this process, your body releases waste products that your body makes naturally. It is also normal to experience feelings of repressed grief, anger, or other strong emotions. Any of this can feel mighty uncomfortable and catch many newcomers off guard. The best thing to do if you experience these unpleasant sensations is to slow down. Pace yourself and concentrate on your breath – slow and deep. Inhaling and exhaling through your nose will help keep your heart rate steady and calm your central nervous system. When you feel better, get up and get back to work!
Take your second class within 24 – 48 hours. This will help speed up the acclimation process and you will bypass much of the soreness you’d experience otherwise. Make the commitment to yourself to take 10 classes in as close succession as possible. Then no one has to tell you how good this yoga is for you. Your own personal experience will guide you.
Trust the process. Remember, everyone had their very first Traditional Hot Yoga class, even the people in the front row who have been coming for years. They make it look easy because they have persevered, and you can too.
15 Reasons why to practice Traditional Hot Yoga with us…..
1. Unplug – The classes are 90 minutes, all of which are for you – a great escape from the daily rat race. There is no time to think about problems or your ‘to do’ list. You will be 100% focused on your body and your breath.
2. We’re a Fun Bunch – We have an amazing community of really cool, positive people here at *I**AM YOGA. You will be surrounded by others that are interested in improving their lives and leading healthy lifestyles.
3. Turn Back the Clock– Your skin will start to glow and you will notice you are smiling more. The way you carry yourself begins to change with your new found flexibility and energy. You’ll feel good from the inside out as your body begins to heal. Your friends and your family will wonder what you are doing that is creating this noticeable change.
4. Get Happy – People that practice Traditional Hot Yoga are less prone to depression and anxiety. It’s hard not to be happy when you feel so amazing!
5. Conquer Stress and Insomnia – One of the first benefits people notice is that they fall asleep easier and wake up feeling fully rested and restored ready to take on the new day. Chronic stress and tension don’t stand a chance when you practice Traditional Hot Yoga regularly.
6. Crank Up Your Metabolism – You will have more energy throughout your day and be better able to accomplish your daily responsibilities, all the while burning more calories to boot!
8. Able to Leap Tall Buildings – You will become physically stronger and begin to carry your body differently. Your posture will improve and you will walk taller. You will become mentally stronger and will feel more confident, more focused and less stressed. And you thought you could never be a Super Hero!
9. Forget What it’s Like to Have a Back Ache – Traditional Hot Yoga is healing yoga. It’s physical therapy for your entire body. It will begin to re-align and improve in every way. You will work through old injuries, help prevent new ones and rid yourself of, or significantly reduce pain.
10. Improve Your Game – Dramatically enhance your performance in other physical activities you enjoy while reducing the risk of injury! Every time you take a Traditional Hot Yoga class you build strength, increase flexibility, lubricate every joint in your body, get a cardiovascular workout and improve your mental focus.
11. Start Actually Liking Healthy Food – With regular practice your body naturally craves healthier foods and you will drink more water in preparation for class.
12. Supercharge Your Libido – Need we say more?
13. Rock Star Confidence – If you can commit to a regular Traditional Hot Yoga practice, you can do anything. And there is an empowerment that comes from knowing you are more in control of your health and overall well-being.
14. Look Good Naked – As your body begins to shed unwanted pounds and you enhance the definition in your musculature you will see your body take on a new, more toned shape that fits better in clothes and, yes, looks better naked!
15. A Class a Day Keeps the Doctor Away – Your immune system will get stronger and stronger and you will get sick less often and for a shorter duration.